Zionism, Pioneering and Professionalism
The history of SLE is a major part of the history of the State of Israel: its founders are among the founders of the Jewish Yeshuv and its leaders are key figures in the economic market in Israel.
Here are several significant milestones in the company's history:
1901 - Establishment of Salomon and Levin
Haim Salomon, the sixth son of Yoel Moshe Salomon one of the founders of the old Jewish Settlement founded a drug-trading house, together with his brother-in-law Moshe Levin, near the Nablus Gate in Jerusalem and named it "Salomon and Levin".
1916 – The Establishment of SLE
A number of years later, Yitzhak Elstein, another of Haim Salomon's brothers-in-law, joined the company and the three decided to join forces. They purchased the Lapin Pharmaceutical Company in Jaffa and changed the name of their joint company to SLE – Salomon Levin and Elstein.
The company, a pioneer in the Israeli pharmaceutical market, dealt mainly with the import and distribution of drugs in Israel, then named Palestine.
The 1930's - a New Era for Pharmaceutical Production in Israel
In the 1930s, many pharmacists and chemists immigrated to Israel, most of them from
Germany. They established production houses for drugs such as Teva, Zori and Ikapharm.
1935 - Teva plant was established in Jerusalem
Dr. Gutter Friedlander and Dr. Elsa Kober founded the Teva plant in Jerusalem's Bayit Vagan neighborhood
Establishment of "Assia Laboratories Ltd." - a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plant
SLE's founders perceived that their new competitors may diminish their wholesale trading house and decided to establish their own drug manufacturing plant in Petah Tikva, called 'Asia Laboratories Ltd. Years later 'Asia' merged with the 'Zri 'plant.